Designated "GOLD LEVEL" by the American Inns of Court
American Inns of Court Foundation
News from National—February 2022
Dear Inn Leaders:
Whether your part of the country is enduring rain, sleet, snow, or something in between, the American Inns of Court national office has engagement opportunities for you and your members to brighten your day. Leadership Summits are coming up fast and are the perfect way to prepare incoming Inn leaders and identify members who might aspire to leadership. Nominations for our national awards and Professionalism Awards are open, so please encourage your members to nominate outstanding colleagues.
Below the announcements—which are designed to be read by Inn leaders to a live audience—you'll find more detailed information on some of our programs and events. If you choose to forward this email instead of using this as part of a live program, simply delete these introductory paragraphs. You can also include this information in your monthly email or upcoming virtual meeting. If you or your members have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
February Meeting Announcements:
Here’s what’s happening at the American Inns of Court national office as part of your member benefits and some ways for you to get involved:
• Nominations for the 2022 American Inns of Court Professionalism Awards are now open. For more information about the awards, participating circuits, deadlines, and nomination procedures, visit www.innsofcourt.org/ProfessionalismAwards. [ http://www.innsofcourt.org/ProfessionalismAwards]
• Nominations for the 2022 A. Sherman Christensen Award, the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Award for Professionalism, and the Sandra Day O'Connor Award for Professional Service are open. For more information, visit www.innsofcourt.org/AwardsandScholarships[ http://www.innsofcourt.org/AwardsandScholarships] .
• Inn Leadership Development Opportunities—If anyone is aspiring to a leadership position in the Inn, Leadership Summits are a great way to discover what you need to know to be an effective Inn leader, and to learn from other leaders around the country. Information about upcoming dates, locations, and registration will be announced soon.
• Write for The Bencher—The theme for the July/August 2022 issue will be Re-entry Programs. Articles are due April 1. Visit www.innsofcourt.org/BencherDeadlinesThemes[ http://www.innsofcourt.org/BencherDeadlinesThemes] for details.
• Increase efficiency at the office this year! The American Inns of Court has partnered with LegalSifter to offer Inn members a free three-month trial of LegalSifter Review [ https://www.legalsifter.com/legalsifter-product] and a subscription discount using code AIC2022SIFT at www.LegalSifter.com/innsofcourtsignup[ http://www.LegalSifter.com/innsofcourtsignup] .
Professionalism Awards—Members are invited to nominate a lawyer or judge whose life and practice displays sterling character and unquestioned integrity, coupled with ongoing dedication to the highest standards of the legal profession and the rule of law. Visit www.innsofcourt.org/ProfessionalismAwards[ http://www.innsofcourt.org/ProfessionalismAwards] for more information.
National Awards—Nominations for the 2022 A. Sherman Christensen Award [ https://www.innsofcourt.org/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/A_Sherman_Christensen_Award/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/A_Sherman_Christensen_Award/A_Sherman_Christensen_Award.aspx?hkey=854597d7-e0c8-4372-85f1-b4faa8c68459&_zs=R2isN1&_zl=5XLG6] , the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Award for Professionalism [ https://www.innsofcourt.org/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/Lewis_F_Powell_Jr_Award/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/Lewis_F_Powell_Jr_Award/Lewis_F_Powell_Jr_Award.aspx?hkey=5f54dac2-08a6-43d1-9b01-a472e0afc7bf&_zs=R2isN1&_zl=6XLG6] , and the Sandra Day O'Connor Award for Professional Service [ https://www.innsofcourt.org/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/Sandra_Day_O_Connor_Award/AIC/Awards_and_Scholarships/Sandra_Day_OConnor_Award/Sandra_Day_O_Connor_Award.aspx?hkey=662bc44e-c122-450e-af4d-349c6a409c8a&_zs=R2isN1&_zl=7XLG6] are open. These awards recognize service to the American Inns of Court, outstanding professionalism, and pro bo no service on the part of young Inn members. Nominations are due June 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.innsofcourt.org/AwardsandScholarships[ http://www.innsofcourt.org/AwardsandScholarships] .
Leadership Summits—If you are a current or incoming Inn leader or aspire to lead your Inn in the future, consider attending one of the upcoming Leadership Summits which will be held starting in March through mid-June. Summits focus on the strategic direction of your Inn, assist you in planning for a successful Inn year, and provide opportunities to network with and learn from Inn leaders around the country. Complete details are coming soon.
Write for The Bencher—The theme for the July/August 2022 issue of The Bencher magazine will be Re-entry Programs, and articles are due April 1, 2022. Many courts have re-entry programs such as Drug Court and Veterans Court, to name a few. The purpose of these courts and other similar courts, is to decrease incarceration and encourage citizens to become productive again. Tell us about the courts in your jurisdiction, what they do and how they benefit society. Have you been a judge, an attorney or administrator in one of these courts? If so, please share your experiences. Visit www.innsofcourt.org/BencherSubmissions[ http://www.innsofcourt.org/BencherSubmissions] for details on how to submit an article.
Thank you for your time and please let me know how I can be of service to you and your Inn.
Ernest Barrens, CAE
Chapter Relations Director, Northeast Region